PDS Biotechnology Corporation Demonstrates Pre-Clinical Safety of its Versamune™-Based HPV Product.

  • PDS Biotechnology Corporation Demonstrates Pre-Clinical Safety of its Versamune™-Based HPV Product.

    PDS Biotechnology Corporation today announced that the company has completed GLP toxicology studies of its lead HPV-cancer product. The studies, which included pharmacokinetic (PK) and adsorption, bio-distribution and excretion (ADE) studies in addition to the evaluation of toxicity, all demonstrated a very safe profile of the drug and PDS Biotech’s platform Versamune™ technology. No signs of toxicity were observed at the highest doses evaluated, significantly higher than the effective doses observed in preclinical studies. The studies also provided further confirmation of the technology’s mechanism of action and efficient uptake by the immune system.

    Dr. Frank Bedu-Addo, PDS Biotechnology’s President and CEO, stated that this was a pivotal study in the company’s progress towards confirming the technology’s safety profile and evaluation in human clinical trials next year to treat cervical cancer. He also stated that “the high safety and efficacy that the technology has demonstrated will also enable the company to initiate discussions with prospective corporate partners to start developing the company’s infectious disease drugs which will target widespread diseases such as hepatitis, HIV, influenza and herpes.”

    PDS0101 is a Versamune™-based immunotherapy drug which has demonstrated significant promise in curing HPV infection and HPV-related cancer in preclinical animal and human model studies. Cancers caused by infection with the human papilloma virus (HPV) include cervical, head and neck and anal cancers. No cures exist for these cancers. The drug is administered by subcutaneous injection.

    PDS Biotechnology Corporation’s Versamune™ nanotechnology facilitates efficient uptake of disease-associated proteins and peptides by cells of the immune system and simultaneously acts as a strong immune system activator (adjuvant) without the inflammatory side effects induced by current adjuvants. The result is simple, safe and cost effective nanotechnology-based drugs and vaccines that induce effective eradication of the specific cells infected with, or expressing the particular protein formulated with Versamune™. PDS0102 has demonstrated high preclinical efficacy in curing melanoma, the most aggressive form of skin cancer. The technology is based on Merck AG’s proprietary enantiomer exclusively licensed to PDS Biotechnology for use in Versamune™.

    PDS Biotechnology Corporation (www.pdsbiotech.com) is an Indiana-based biotechnology company applying the company’s proprietary platform Versamune™ nanotechnology to the development of safe and potent immunotherapies to prevent and to treat cancer and diseases caused by infectious agents.

    Under its Prime Contract (HHSN261200800001E) with the National Cancer Institute, SAIC-Frederick, Inc. awarded a $366,400 subcontract to PDS Biotechnology, which covered 46% of the study costs, with the remaining 54% funded by the Indiana Economic Development Corporation’s 21st Century Fund, and private investments.

    The content of this publication does not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Department of Health and Human Services, nor does mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.


    Comments are closed.